Saturday 24 August 2024

A quiz about limericks and ChatGPT

There's been loads of discussion recently about how good ChatGPT is in various domains. I think it is clear that, in simple mathematics, it is no match for a human. But there are many claims that in less precise domains it can exceed human ability. So here are two limericks on the theme of apostrophes, possessives, and plurals. One is written by a human, the other by ChatGPT. I'd be grateful for any reader commenting on which is which.

There once was a writer, quite stressed,
Whose grammar was put to the test.
With plurals and "it's,"
And possessive misfits,
They found English a baffling mess.

Said Fowler in mood quite expressive,
There's one thing on which I'm obsessive,
Mistakes apostrophic,
I deem catastrophic,
The plural is not the possessive.

I know this blog has very few readers so I will let at least a month go by before reporting the comment consensus.

No comments:

Post a Comment